Saturday, October 27, 2012

Heart Pangs

 Last weekend marked our 2nd Pumpkin Patch trip except this time we got to enjoy the fun with Cousin Paisley.  Graham had been saving a sheet of Halloween stickers for her for about 3 weeks and he wrote about her on one of his pieces of art in school the other day so I'm so glad we were able to get a Paisley fix!  Graham talks about her every night as in "Mom, maybe Paisley can come to my house and we will _______" (fill in the blank).
 We have (just about) moved on from broken leg blog posts.  Graham is running everywhere.  I'm annoying him and anyone within earshot with my little heart attacks every time he stumbles or falls.  I can't help it.  That may not ever go away.  His good leg is still noticeably longer than the other leg.  Well...noticeable when I make him lay on his back while I stretch his legs out in front of me.  Keeping faith that that will resolve just like the dr. said it would.
 It is inevitable that every time I upload new pictures, I have to scroll back through a bazillion old pictures.  I started having little heart pangs at how much Graham has grown and changed in recent months.  He comes home from school saying thing like "Mom, this is going to be so cool."  or  "Mom, that's boring." What?!  I can handle "cool" and "awesome".  "Boring" has to go, though.  He's reading the words like "no," "my," "see," and "go."  He reads every "No Parking Fire Lane" sign to me.  He's reading.  What is up with that?  I should be ecstatic, and I am but I'm. not. ready. for. this!

 It's so challenging to savor all of the precious little moments while also going about the busy business of living life.  Things start to change without my permission.  What am I going to do when he is no longer interested in pulling up a chair to help me cook in the kitchen?  in singing "The Farmer and the Dell" at the top of his lungs on the way to preschool?  in snuggling me in his glow-in-the-dark monster p.j.'s first thing in the morning? in going to pick out big, medium, and small pumpkins at the pumpkin patch?  Oh, groan.  These thoughts make my heart hurt.
 And then...deep breaths...live in the moment.  I've dreaded change at every stage.  I've had little weepy moments every time I pack up outgrown clothes and, yet, found each new stage more wonderful than the last.  I can do this.  He's only three.  I've still got a few good years of punkin' patchin' left.  I think.

Watch out!  Spiderman will be making an appearance next week!

1 comment:

Grandma Emie said...

Oh he is growing up so fast...missed seeing you guys at the game last night.... but it was really cold!!!! Glad you were cozy and warm. Love