Thursday, September 20, 2012

Balance

I've learned, being a working mom, that life is about balance.  Balancing giving 110% to a job and students I love, being a supportive coach's wife, and being the best Mommy that I promised I would be before Graham was ever conceived.  Most of the time, I can do all three really, really well.  I'm not bragging.  It's an art that I am constantly perfecting.  There are also times when I fail in one department or the other.  I'm constantly tweaking, adjusting, undoing, redoing, and perfecting.

So, yesterday when I decided to take another day off to be with my boy, it wasn't a decision I made easily.  It meant being out of the classroom another day which, meant another day of less than optimal learning for my students.  It's a sub.  You know how things go when there's a sub in the room.  All of that being said to make the point that I made the right decision and I have cherished every single second with G-Man today.  Balance.  The scales most definitely needed to tilt towards "Mommy" this week.

It is noteworthy, first, that Graham slept in his bed last night without Mommy for the first time in 6 weeks.  He did not make a peep.  When he woke up, he was signing a happy little song to himself and was all smiles when I went to snuggle him.  He was a little stiff, but so ready to start his day!

We started with another bubble bath, then got dressed and took a walk.  He wanted to ride in his old stroller instead of the one we borrowed while he was in his cast.  I think that leg was happy to see sunshine!
We walked over and fed the ducks, then decided to check out the park where we'd spent so much time before the accident.  He and I got back on the old rocket and he picked up like we'd never stopped playing there. "What do you see, Mommy?  I see an asteroid!  Quick!  Turn left!"
After the lunch, I gave Graham the choice of choosing new books at the library or going to "The Orange Store" (Home Depot) to get flowers.  He wanted to go to the drive through book drop and drop off the old books, then to the Orange Store.  This was his first time in anything but his stroller.  We had so much fun!  We picked out a toilet seat (the one in his bathroom got really scratched up because of the cast) and several pots of mums that he picked out.
Then it was time for naps.  I tucked him in and said "You just call me if you need me.  I'll be right here." He replied, "Okay, Mommy.  You just come in here if you need me, okay?"  Melt. My. Heart.  Our next plan is more playing, and digging in the dirt.  He's going to put on his gloves and help me get those mums planted.

Tomorrow, his Grandma Emie and Papa John will stay home with him and it's back to work for me.  Balance. :)

2 comments:

Grandma Emie said...

Can't wait to see him tomorrow.... so glad his cast is off and he is doing great.

mom and dad said...

I think G looks taller/bigger than before the cast! Writer/author should be part of "Balance"...you sure have a way with words Holly. It was good to talk to G with Grandma Emie...they were having a great time together. Love to all, Mom and Dad